Screening of Bearberry leaves extracts hypoglycemic effect and study of acute toxicity
Diabetes mellitus type 2 (DM2) is a global health problem. The plant origin medicinal preparations revealed different mechanisms of antidiabetic action. Despite a wide range of plants that have already been studied, other species are of interest. Particularly, Bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) attracted our attention because its leaves are rich with biologically active compounds, but hypoglycemic activity has not been studied yet.
The aim of our experiment was studding acute toxicity and hypoglycemic activity of Bearberry extracts on non-diabetic standard models.
Materials and methods. It was conducted the screening of hypoglycemic effect in healthy rats, oral glucose tolerance test in healthy rats and study of acute toxicity. The object of study were water and alcohol polyphenol extracts of Bearberry leaves (extractor –alcohol 50 % and 90 %).
Results and discussion. Screening and comparative study shows that the maximal hypoglycemic activity revealed Bearberry leaves alcohol extract (extractor – 50 % ethanol, PE50) in dose 100 mg/kg. The least pronounced effect was observed for the introduction of water extract administration.
Conclusions. The results indicate the practicability of this Bearberry leaves extract further study for renewal the range of medicinal products that revealed hypoglycemic activity.
Dattatreya, A., Sarangi, T. K. (2015). A Review on Diabetes Mellitus: Complications, Management and Treatment Modalities. Research & Reviews: Journal of Medical and Health Sciences, 4 (3), 10. Available at: http://www.rroij.com/open–access/diabetic–complications––their–treatment.php
Chaudhury, A., Duvoor, C., Reddy Dendi, V. S., Kraleti, S., Chada, A., Ravilla, R., Mirza, W. (2017). Clinical Review of Antidiabetic Drugs: Implications for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Management. Frontiers in Endocrinology, 8. doi: 10.3389/fendo.2017.00006
Governa, P., Baini, G., Borgonetti, V., Cettolin, G., Giachetti, D., Magnano, A., Biagi, M. (2018). Phytotherapy in the Management of Diabetes: A Review. Molecules, 23 (1), 105. doi: 10.3390/molecules23010105
Eddouks, M., Bidi, A., El Bouhali, B., Hajji, L., Zeggwagh, N. A. (2014). Antidiabetic plants improving insulin sensitivity. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 66 (9), 1197–1214. doi: 10.1111/jphp.12243
Meresa, A., Gemechu, W., Basha, H., Fekadu, N., Teka, F., Ashebir, R., Tadele, A. (2017). Herbal Medicines for the Management of Diabetic Mellitus in Ethiopiaand Eretriaincluding their Phytochemical Constituents. American Journal of Advanced Drug Delivery, 05 (01). doi: 10.21767/2321–547x.1000011
Stefanov, O. V. (2001). Doklіnichni doslidzhennia likarskykh zasobiv. Kyiv: Avitsena, 528.
de Oliveira, D. T., Souza–Silva, E., Scand, T. (2009). Gingival Vein Punction: A New Simple Technique for Drug Administration or Blood Sampling in Rats and Mice: Journal of Laboratory Animal Science, 36 (2), 109–113.
Test No. 423: Acute Oral toxicity – Acute Toxic Class Method. (2012). OECD, 1–14. doi: 10.1787/9789264071001–en
GOST Style Citations
1. Dattatreya, A. A Review on Diabetes Mellitus : Complications, Management and Treatment Modalities / A. Dattatreya, T. K. Sarangi // Res. & Rev : J. of Med. and Health Sci. – 2015. – Vol. 4, Issue 3. – 10 p. Available at : http://www.rroij.com/open–access/diabetic–complications–their–treatment.php
2. Clinical Review of Antidiabetic Drugs: Implications for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus / C. Arun, D. Chitharanjan, S. Vijaya et al. // Frontiers in Endocrinol. – 2017. – Vol. 8, Issue 6. – 12 p. doi: 10.3389/fendo.2017.00006
3. Phytotherapy in the Management of Diabetes: A Review / P. Governa, G. Baini, V. Borgonetti et al. // Molecules. – 2018. – Vol. 23, Issue 1. – 105 p. doi: 10.3390/molecules23010105
4. Antidiabetic plants improving insulin sensitivity / M. Eddouks, A. Bidi, B. El Bouhali et al. // J. of Pharmacy and Pharmacol. – 2014. – Vol. 66, Issue 9. – P. 1197–1214. doi: 10.1111/jphp.12243
5. Herbal Medicines for the Management of Diabetic Mellitus in Ethiopia and Eretria including their Phytochemical Constituents / A. Meresa, W. Gemechu, H. Basha et al. // J. of Advanced Drug Delivery. – 2017. – Vol. 05, Issue 01. – P. 40–58. doi: 10.21767/2321–547x.1000011
6. Доклінічні дослідження лікарських засобів : метод. рек. / за редакцією : член–кор. НАМН України О. В. Стефанова. – К. : Авіценна, 2001. – 528 с.
7. de Oliveira, D. T. Gingival Vein Punction : A New Simple Technique for Drug Administration or Blood Sampling in Rats and Mice / D. T. de Oliveira, E. Souza–Silva, T. Scand / J. of Laboratory Animal Sci. – 2009. – Vol. 36, Issue 2. – P. 109–113.
8. Test No. 423 : Acute Oral toxicity – Acute Toxic Class Method / OECD. – 2012. – P. 1–14. doi: 10.1787/9789264071001–en
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Abbreviated key title: Ukr. bìofarm. ž.
ISSN 2519-8750 (Online), ISSN 2311-715X (Print)